With the first day of summer right around the corner, now is the perfect time to expand your living space while increasing the value of your home. From taking in a beautiful sunrise, to soaking up the splendor of a starry night, creating a comfortable porch or deck invites family and friends to stop and “sit a spell”, not to mention getting the kids out from underfoot during the summer holiday.
Porches Provide Extra Storage Space
Aside from the obvious fact that a porch increases your living area, did you know you can create extra storage space when designing your porch or deck? Incorporating custom, built-in benches gives you an opportunity to create storage underneath the seating. This extra space can be used to store everything from pool accessories to small gardening tools and will free up space in your garage or outdoor shed. Even if you don’t spring for custom-built benches, many outdoor gardening and home improvement stores sell freestanding outdoor benches and patio furniture with storage space built in.
Party on the Porch
Pool parties, weddings, birthdays and more; there is always a reason to throw a party! Porch parties not only expand your capacity for guests, but decorating is fun and cleanup is easy. A few party ideas:
4th Of July – What a great way to show off your new patio by inviting your friends and neighbors over for a backyard barbecue.
- Wrap your patio railings with streamers and red, white, and blue balloons.
- Buy inexpensive fabric and cover existing cushions and pillows with stars and stripes.
- Hang red, white, and blue curtains all around your new covered patio.
- Sprinkle confetti all over the floor of your new patio or even red, white, and blue stars all across your patio tabletops.
- Place a large flag hanging against the back wall of your patio as the backdrop for your 4th of July theme.
If you really are going for the “ultimate” porch project, why not think about adding a fire pit or turning an existing porch floor into a gazebo? Keep in mind, long gone are the days where your patio/deck furniture has to be plastic, uncomfortable or ugly. As long as your porch is covered, you can use sofas, easy chairs, and even recliners with plenty of comfortable throw pillows added into the mix for seating. Some homeowners are bringing an entire stainless steel kitchen equipped with a massive barbecue grill, hood range, and wet bar to their covered patios. Curtains, plants and outdoor lights add a touch of elegance and intimacy.
Places to Shop
You can turn your porch into your own private haven with these tips.
- Privacy Screens Privacy screens are light and easy to move, yet can block views from whatever angle you choose.
- Garden Screens There are plenty of different garden screens to choose from to create whatever “look” you’re going for. Houzz.com has tons of fresh and creative ideas.
- Pergolas Build your own with these instructions from Popular Mechanics.
- Trellis Vines & Greenery Use plants, trees or vines for privacy. Plant a flowering trellis for a pretty privacy solution.
Porch Decor Themes
Asian Inspired Décor – Asian-inspired decor is perfect for your patio as it reflects nature, both indoors and outdoors. You can use many materials and design ideas to create an Asian-inspired patio theme.
- Wood, stone, bamboo, concrete, and even glass are perfect elements to create a backdrop of floors and walls for your Asian-inspired décor.
- Water is a classic element of Asian inspired décor. A waterfall, birdbath, or pond running through your patio will incorporate the décor perfectly.
- Plants in the form of potted bamboo are perfect Asian accents to your patio décor.
- Accessories are important for Asian-inspired décor. Pottery, lanterns, pillows with fringe are all great accent pieces.
Spanish-Inspired Décor Spanish-inspired décor will keep you and your patio guests entertained and full of vitality and energy during your time out on the patio.
- Bright and vibrant yellows, blues, and aqua along with mosaic tiles will keep you in the festive Spanish-inspired mode.
- Arches, moss, small fountains, and Aztec prints are all perfect to tie in your Mediterranean-inspired décor.
- Copper pots, sleek lines, stucco, and cement are all perfect for the backdrop of your décor.
These are just a couple of the many different ways you can decorate your patio for an International feel.
Now that you’ve created your own special place of balance, harmony and tranquility, it’s time to kick back and enjoy it!
Helping Hoosiers Home